Alberti's Doric ring. In his 1485 treatise De re
aedificatoria,, Leon Battista Alberti,
Italian Renaissance architect and theorist, revived and codified
the 'canons' for the five
orders of columns, as first described by the ancient Roman architect
Of these, the Doric order (second from the left), the most masculine
of the orders, was deemed appropriate for temples dedicated to
male saints. A foundation of ancient architecture, it is also
the order used, in giant form, on the Parthenon, in Athens, Greece.
It differs from the Ionic, Corinthian and Composite columns,
in that it is
comprised of only 20 flutes.
Done in the antique style.
Sterling silver. In men's and women's sizes.As seen in
(Jewelry Quorum) magazine, article on men's jewelry, September/October 2006