Alberti's Doric ring. In his c.1450
treatise De re aedificatoria, Leon Battista Alberti,
Italian Renaissance architect and theorist, revived and codified
the 'canons' for the five
orders of columns, as first described by the ancient Roman architect
Of these, the Doric order (second from the left), the most masculine
of the orders, was
deemed appropriate for temples dedicated to male saints. A foundation
architecture, it is also the order used, in giant form, on the
Parthenon, in Athens, Greece.
It differs from the Ionic, Corinthian and Composite columns, in
that it is comprised of
only 20 flutes.
Done in the antique style.
Included in the Architecture as Ornament exhibition,
Sterling silver. In men's and women's sizes.